Frequently Asked Questions
If you have a disability or special condition that might require special arrangements, please fill out the Special Accommodations Request Form to make a request for such arrangements.
Each component of the test is given a CAEL score and an overall band score. There is no pass or fail on the test. It is recommended that you contact the institution to which you are applying to see what their English language requirements are.
It is not necessary to know anything about the topic to be successful on the CAEL. Everything you need to know is contained in the information provided within the test itself.
For CAEL Tests administered on or after May 15, 2017, the CAEL Overall Band Score will be calculated as an equally weighted average of the four component (Writing, Reading, Listening, and Speaking) scores rounded to the nearest ten-point interval.
Previously, CAEL Overall Band Scores were calculated using a weighted average in which the Writing component was the most heavily weighted. Based on an internal review by Paragon Test Research and Development staff and a careful review of current industry practices, Paragon Testing Enterprises has revised the overall band score calculation to equally weight each component score.
Examples of the new overall band score calculation:
- A test taker achieving 70 for the Writing component, 70 for the Reading component, 60 for the Listening component, and 60 for the Speaking component will be awarded a CAEL Overall Band Score of 70 (260 ÷ 4 = 65, rounded to the nearest ten-point interval of 70).
- A test taker achieving 70 for the Writing component, 70 for the Reading component, 60 for the Listening component, and 50 for the Speaking component will be awarded a CAEL Overall Band Score of 60 (250 ÷ 4 = 62.5, rounded to the nearest ten-point interval of 60).
To report a test security issue, please visit our Test Security page.
The CAEL (Paper Edition) test was retired as of August 31, 2018.
Depending on the test centre, test registration closes approximately 2 to 3 days before the scheduled test date.
It is recommended that you register well in advance, because test centres have limited capacity and registration requests are processed in the order in which they are received.
Note: Registration for a test sitting will close either one business day before the test or once the sitting has reached maximum capacity. Test dates, times, and locations are subject to change. You will be notified by email in the event that we are required to make any changes to your registration.
The fee for CAEL in Canada is CAD $280.00 + tax. Test fees may vary for CAEL outside of Canada.
For complete information on our transfer and cancellation policy, please click here.
For CAEL at a Test Centre: No, you will not have to upload a photo of yourself during the online registration, as your picture will be taken at the test centre on the day of the test.
For CAEL Online: Yes, you will be prompted to take and submit a photo during the registration process.
For complete information on our transfer policy, please click here.
If you are currently registered for CAEL at a test centre but you would like to transfer to CAEL Online, please register for CAEL Online first, and then contact us to have your test centre test cancelled.
CAEL registration can only be completed online.
- Online (Recommended)
Please note that CAEL Test Centres do not process any registrations. All registrations must be completed online.
Test registration closes 2 to 3 days before the scheduled test date. It is recommended that you register well in advance, because test centres have limited capacity and registration requests are processed in the order in which they are received. Test dates, times, and locations are subject to change. You will be notified by email in the event that we are required to make any changes to your registration.
- If paying by credit card, your statement will show this transaction as “Paragon Testing Ent.” Please ensure that anyone who reviews the statement is aware of the transaction.
You may register for no more than one Test Session within four (4) calendar days. Test Session registrations that violate this rule are subject to cancellation by Paragon.
The CAEL Office recommends that you do additional studying before retaking the test. See our CAEL Test Preparation page for more details.
For complete information on our cancellation policy, please click here.
For information on what kind of identification is acceptable for the CAEL Test, click here.
Before Test Day
During registration, you must upload a valid government-issued photo identity document (ID) that will be presented on test day and take a photo of yourself through our registration system.
See here for a list of accepted IDs.
On Test Day
- After launching your test, you will be prompted to go through self-check-in by taking a photo of yourself and the ID you registered with.
- ProProctor’s readiness agent verifies the valid government-issues ID presented by you matches the real-time webcam feed.
- Please refer to the ProProctor User Guide for additional information.
Paragon reviews the webcam footage to ensure that the valid government-issued photo ID presented on test day matches the valid government-issued photo ID that was uploaded to the company’s systems at the time of the test.
Paragon Testing Enterprises works with organizations in India to allow for in-person CAEL Test registration and payment. Please note that Paragon Testing Enterprises is not responsible for exchange rates, which may differ between organizations.
You can register and pay in person at our test centre, India2Canada, or at any of these accredited organizations:
- Avenues Abroad
- Canam Consultants Ltd.
- Centre for English and Foreign Languages (CEFL)
- Charms Education and Immigration Services
- Chopra Consultancy
- ClearPath Visa and Immigration Services
- Cosmo Overseas
- Grey Matters
- InSync Learning and Development
- Kangaroo Studies Private Ltd.
- Learning Wings
- M.M. Advisory Services
- Sunrise International
- Take off Educational Consultants
- Touchstone Educationals
- Webberz Educomp Limited
Registration in person is only available for CAEL at a Test Centre.
- Your CAEL Online Test will be remotely proctored by ProProctor, please read the ProProctor User Guide before attending your test
- Please make sure you download and install the ProProctor application that delivers your test (instructions on how to start your test will be sent within two calendar days of your test date).
- A desktop computer or laptop computer (you cannot use a phone, tablet, or Chromebook)
- Internet speed of at least 2Mb/s download speed, 1Mb/s upload speed.
- Chrome web browser (current version).
- A webcam, microphone, and speakers
- No bluetooth devices allowed (including wireless mouse, keyboard, or speakers)
- Minimum screen resolution to be 1024×768
- Mac OS 10.13 / Windows 8.1 or higher
- It may not be possible to take the test on a corporate laptop unless you ask your company’s IT to configure it for you. Please refer to ProProctor’s instructions for corporate computers.
- You cannot launch the ProProctor application using virtual machines or remote desktop connections.
- Test Your System
CAEL at a Test Centre: You must arrive 45 minutes prior to your test and check-in for your test closes 15 minutes before the scheduled start time. If you arrive after this time, you will be denied entrance to the test and will not be eligible for a refund or transfer. It is the test taker’s responsibility to arrive early for their test.
CAEL at a Test Centre:
If you have not received (or have lost) your Test Confirmation Email, please do the following:
- Check your email Junk Folder, or
- Contact us.
For more information about preparing for CAEL, click here.
For CAEL at a Test Centre, please review the Test Day Information page for details about prohibited behaviours and items.
For CAEL Online, please review the Test Day Information page for details about prohibited behaviours and items.
For information on the format of CAEL and the time allowed, please click here.
CAEL at a Test Centre: We do not allow any food or drinks in our testing rooms. However, if you do need some water during the test, please raise your hand and a test supervisor will escort you to the water fountain.
CAEL Online: You can have a drink at your desk, but there must be no writing on the container. Food is not allowed.
CAEL at a Test Centre: Late entry to CAEL is not permitted. Latecomers will be denied entrance to the test and will not be eligible for a refund or transfer.
CAEL Online: You may begin your check-in up to 30 minutes after your start time.
The test is timed and does not pause.
CAEL at a Test Centre: To learn about washroom breaks for CAEL, see Test Day Information.
CAEL Online: There are three optional 5-minute breaks during the test. You may go to the washroom during this break.
Yes, you should write responses in standard academic English using correct spelling. Whether you are writing an extended, short, or one-word response, pay attention to the accuracy of your writing.
For information on CAEL scoring, please click here.
It has been more than 8 business days since my test, and my scores have not been posted online. What should I do?
In rare instances, your CAEL scores may be delayed. This could be for one of the following reasons:
- We determined that your test required additional review before scores could be released. We may contact you for more information.
- You reported an issue to Paragon Testing Enterprises within 48 hours of your test. We may hold the scores if we are still investigating.
- We require additional confirmation of your identity, or we are investigating possible testing irregularities.
If it has been 8 business days or less since your test, your scores should be posted soon! You will receive an email confirmation once your scores are available online.
You can apply for a re-evaluation of some or all components of your CAEL, as long as the application is made within 6 months of the test date. You must pay a re-evaluation fee at the time of your application. If the score changes for any component that has been re-evaluated, the re-evaluation fee for that component will be refunded. Please note that there is a limit of one re-evaluation for any particular component of the test. Re-evaluation requests are final sale, and cannot be cancelled once the request has been submitted.
Test takers who apply for a re-evaluation of their test results will be notified of the re-evaluation results within 3 to 4 weeks of submission of their application and payment of the re-evaluation fee.
The re-evaluation fee is $65.00 per component.
To make a re-evaluation request, sign in to your CAEL Account.
We will make your scores available to you and other institutions for 2 years from the date of the test. The length of time that your scores are valid for various institutions however, is determined by their individual policies. You can obtain this information from the specific institution.
Your CAEL Official Score Report will be available for download as a PDF. You can submit your PDF Official Score Report to an academic institution or professional organization. Please ensure that you selected your chosen institution in your CAEL Account for score verification purposes.
For information on obtaining you CAEL test scores, please click here.
The listening and reading sections for CAEL are scored by computer. Each correct answer contributes proportionally to your test score in each section. There are no points deducted for wrong answers. Your CAEL Reading and Listening test score will be reported as a band score on a scale from 10 to 90.
Your speaking and writing responses are scored by trained and experienced CAEL Raters according to scales established by Paragon Testing Enterprises. The rating scales guide CAEL Raters to pay attention to the following features of your responses:
- Completing the task: Whether you fulfilled the requirements of the task.
- Content of the response: How well you communicate your ideas or argument.
- Vocabulary use: How well your chosen words, idioms, and collocations convey your intended meaning.
- Grammatical accuracy: Your degree of mastery over linguistic patterns of English to clearly and precisely communicate your intended message.
- Delivery: Your ability to produce clear, intelligible, and fluent speech.
- Use of source materials: How well you use the information from the passage or mini-lecture in your response (if applicable).
- Audience awareness and tone: Your ability to set and maintain an appropriate academic tone throughout your response.
All your speaking and writing responses contribute towards your test score in each section. Your CAEL Speaking and Writing test score will be reported as a band score on a scale from 10 to 90.